The annual food blogger meet up is here and each one will need to bring a dish or drink, last year I have made dumplings and the tray was cleaned up in 10 mins, also because maybe I was only one out of 5 person doing savoury dishes. This year I wanted to make a sweet dish, as I am such a beginner in making dessert, this is the perfect chance because I am always having difficult sharing my dessert to my family as none of them like sweets, hence I don’t have much opportunity to practice.
Summer is here I have chosen lemon as my core ingredient to make this dessert, perfect for lemon lovers! These cute little bite size bars has a crust on the bottom and a beautiful and silky filling, it is also easy to make too!
For the base
225g unsalted butter, soften
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the lemon later
6 large eggs at room temperature
2 1/2 cups caster sugar
2-3 lemon zest
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (pulps and seeds removed)
1 cup flour
icing sugar for dusting
1) Preheat oven to 180C and grease and line a 30cm X 20cm baking tin with foil.
2) For the base, cream the butter and sugar until light, combine the flour and salt to the butter until just mixed. Knead with a hand until flour and butter is combined. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into the greased baking tin using thumb and index finger, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides, then put it in the fridge to chill for 10 mins.
3) Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack, meanwhile switch the oven to 160C and make the fillings.
4) For the lemon layer, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and lastly sieve in the flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until just set when feel with your fingers.
5) cool down for about an hour, cut into rectangles and dust generously with icing sugar right before serving.
when pressing down the flour dough, take you time to do it. The more even the better consistency
This is what I mean by lightly brown
Pouring lemon juice into egg mixture
Make sure no flour lumps in the egg mixture
ready to be bake
Don’t forget to dust with heaps of icing sugars!
Like my blog? Feel free to leave a comment or subscribe to receive email notifications for update !